Yowza! My last blog post was Sept. 28th–feels like forever ago. I’ve essentially been on the road since the first of October. Happy to be back in the 801 with my fam, enjoying the holiday weekend. Germany, Italy, NYC, Orange County, Bahamas. Join me for an iPhone recap of my most recent travels–looking forward to sharing some imagery from behind the big boy camera some time soon…
2011 was a spectacular year on all accounts. Foot upon foot of pow skied, fish from Wyoming to the Bahamas hooked, festivals in the far corners of the earth, ancient pathways crossed–all contributed to what could perhaps be one of my most productive years behind the lens. Cliche as it may be, I can’t help but look back in review and share some of my favorites from the past year. As always, many thanks to my sponsors: Arc’teryx, Suunto, Mark Miller Subaru, Mountain Khakis, Manfrotto School of Xcellence, Clikelite Backpacks and Singh Ray Filters. Hope you all enjoy, and here’s to an even better 2012! (click on images to view larger versions)
1. Jesse Hall takes a moment to ponder human flight, as he stands inside the hot air balloon from which he’ll subsequently launch himself into gravity’s liberating grasp. Park City, UT.
2. Angler Al Chidester finds himself surrounded by all that is good in this world: fresh air, fall foliage…and fantastic fishing in some of western Wyoming’s most treasured water.
3. Fire and rain over Warm Creek Bay, Lake Powell, UT.
4. Hazy skies make for ethereal and ancient interpretations of East Jerusalem, Israel.
5. First light envelopes Agua Canyon in a glow only Mother Nature could furnish. Bryce Canyon National Park, UT.
6. Ralph Lauren’s Double RL Ranch shows its true colors in crisp early morning light. Dallas Divide, CO.
7. Angler Geoff Mueller admires a healthy bonefish (caught and released) in Abaco Island’s skinniest of water.
8. Calm in the chaos of Hanoi traffic, Vietnam.
9. Bavaria’s finest color smiles upon a lone farmer’s shed in the fields near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
10. Skier Drew Stoecklein can, in fact turn right. At just the right time. In just the right place. Alta Backcountry, UT.
11. Angler Geoff Mueller and Oliver White tense up as they ply the waters off Abaco Island for huge permit.
Or Garmisch-Partenkirchen to be more exact. It’s been far too long since checking in on the blog, and I’ve finally got a moment to share just a few images from this spectacular part of the world.
I’ve had a couple of days to scout the greater Garmisch-Partenkirchen region and I can say, without a doubt, that I’ve only just begun to scratch the surface. This Bavarian Alps are overwhelmingly beautiful, with jaw-dropping vistas around every corner. It takes focus and just a bit of tunnel vision at times to capture even a piece of this gorgeous natural puzzle.
I’ve been fortunate to have Brad along from the Edelweiss Lodge & Resort. Having lived here for the past ten years, he’s been an invaluable resource in showing me some of his favorite shooting locations. We’ve even found a couple of new ones for him to throw on his bucket list.
The first of two three-day workshops begins in a couple of hours, and I’m looking forward to helping all the attendees improve their photography in one of the most photogenic locales I’ve ever visited. Check back soon for more images. Cheers!